Monday, November 11, 2013

Review: The Collector by Victoria Scott

Release date: April 2, 2013
Author info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 352
Format: Egalley
Source: Publisher provided through Netgalley
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
He makes good girls...bad.

Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.
I'm coming off finishing The Collector with some mixed emotions.

On one hand, I definitely get why people love Dante. He's got a lot of charisma and his narration is hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud at several things he said. I also really liked his progression as a character, how he really comes to see the value in goodness. He's lived a certain way for a long time and that's a hard kind of habit to break, and that struggle is good to see. It's not an easy road. Even so, he's a character I'd only like in short doses; his certain brand of confidence is one that could get annoying very quickly.

Aside from Dante, I pretty much liked everyone else a whole lot. Charlie is just so endearing in everything she does that I couldn't help but like her. If Annabelle were real I probably would have high-fived her six or seven times, and Blue was so earnest yet tough that it broke my heart. Also, can I please get some background on Max and Valery? Maybe even an entire book. Yes.

But, on the other hand, there was nothing in this story that really captured me, making me want to live in the world. I can't think of any "wow' moments or times I found myself thinking just how much I was loving the book. It's not that it was a bad book in any way, but I just couldn't find an emotional connection.

Even so, The Collector is a laugh-out-loud hilarious paranormal romance that is full of memorable characters, one that kept me reading until after 3 a.m. And for those great characters, I will happily continue the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment