Monday, October 28, 2013

Mini Reviews: The First Star to Fall & Finding Cinderella

Mini reviews! As before, the links on the titles lead to the Goodreads pages, where you can read the synopsis and get any other information I might not have included. Fun note: both of the novellas I'm featuring are FREE! So why would you hesitate to try them out? :)

Author: Diana Peterfreund
Release date: June 29, 2013
Get the ebook: Barnes & Noble | Amazon

I loved For Darkness Shows the Stars, so when I learned there would be a sequel I was terribly excited. Likewise, I'd enjoyed the first novella Diana Peterfreund had written in this series and might have flipped out a bit when I learned there was a new one. This time I read the prequel novella before the book and it's just made me that much more excited to read Across a Star-Swept Sea!

In The First Star to Fall, we're introduced to Persis Blake, who is an aristo in Albion just as Albion's neighbor across the sea, Galatea, is erupting into revolution. Though the Reduction was eradicated two generations ago, the revolutionaries have found a way to bring it back--and have done so on their deposed queen. Persis wants to witness the historic events on Galatea, but finds that the revolution is much larger and violent than she could have ever anticipated. She either has to accept what she's been taught or believe what she's seeing, for it might save her country.

This novella is absolutely perfect to get you back into the swing of the world Peterfreund created in FDStS or to introduce it to you! Not only do you get a bit of background on the world itself, you also learn a lot about Persis, her friends, beliefs, and lifestyle. I can already tell she's a girl I'm going to like. We also get to see her first actions as the Wild Poppy!

Whether you read this before or after the book, I definitely recommend it! It's a very short read (30 minutes, maybe?) and will immerse you in the world THAT quickly. Now I'm about to combust with my need for Across a Star-Swept Sea!
Author: Colleen Hoover
Release date: October 14, 2013
Get the ebook: Barnes & Noble | Amazon

Before this I'd only read Colleen Hoover's Slammed, but I might officially be obsessed with her after reading Finding Cinderella. I went in expecting something short and cute, but, while it was definitely packed with cute moments, this novella manages to also be deeply emotional and just good.

Daniel had a one-off experience in a maintenance closet with a girl he nicknames Cinderella, wishing to--and knowing he won't get to--see her again. This experience makes him believe he won't find another girl who makes him feel as good as she did. But then he meets Six, a girl with quirks to spare, and who shows him the reality of love is better than any acted experience. Soon Daniel finds that his Cinderella and Six aren't so far apart, but this realization could destroy his relationship with Six if he can't accept the reality.

I honestly only downloaded this because it was free and I thought I might pick it up on a rainy day, but then I kept seeing great reviews so I decided I'd go ahead and give it a try--without a lot of expectation. It's a free novella, you know? But that just doesn't matter. I found myself smiling from ear to ear, laughing out loud, and tearing up a various parts and just enjoyed the heck out of reading it. I can't recommend it enough.

No worries if you haven't read the Hopeless series; I haven't either and it didn't decrease my enjoyment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment