Friday, September 6, 2013

Fallen Too Far by Abbi Glines

Release date: December 12, 2013
Author info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Format: Paperback
Pages: 296
Source: Purchased
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
To want what you’re not supposed to have…

She is only nineteen.

She is his new stepfather’s daughter.

She is still naïve and innocent due to spending the last three years taking care of her sick mother.

But for twenty-four year old Rush Finlay, she is the only thing that has ever been off limits. His famous father’s guilt money, his mother’s desperation to win his love, and his charm are the three reasons he has never been told no.

Blaire Wynn left her small farmhouse in Alabama, after her mother passed away, to move in with her father and his new wife in their sprawling beach house along the Florida gulf coast. She isn’t prepared for the lifestyle change and she knows she’ll never fit into this world. Then there is her sexy stepbrother who her father leaves her with for the summer while he runs off to Paris with his wife. Rush is as spoiled as he is gorgeous. He is also getting under her skin. She knows he is anything but good for her and that he’ll never be faithful to anyone. He is jaded and has secrets Blaire knows she may never uncover but even knowing all of that…

Blaire just may have fallen too far.
I do not get why people love this book. But I also don't get why people love Fifty Shades of Grey, which is exactly the kind of vibe I got off Fallen Too Far. It's not that the story is the same--though it actually is pretty darn similar, and note its release date in conjunction with when Fifty Shades became popular--but that the relationship is so unhealthy and the disingenuousness of the whole thing. I know there are lots of people who love these books, but Abbi Glines has much better ones than this.

I wanted to be proven wrong with this, but it didn't happen. I wanted to read it and think that Rush is misunderstood and that Blaire is admirable. Nope. I really like Abbi's The Vincent Boys and The Vincent Brothers and think they're fun. But this is just different. The characters are older and the sex is not mild in any sense of the word. At the same time, though, the characters are stupid. Blaire accepts this relationship completely knowing he's keeping secrets and that she's going to get hurt but is then surprised that he's keeping secrets. Makes sense. THEN, you and this guy you barely know have sex, but he was too excited to put on a condom. But the next time, he ASKS if he has to put one on when he knows you're not on birth control. WHAT? That's just asking for a problem--one that didn't happen in this book but I'm pretty sure will arise in the next. I just... Can't deal.

This qualm doesn't apply so much to the ebook version, but I read a printed copy of this. I understand that a book that is self-published and printed doesn't necessarily undergo rigorous editing, but any copy editor would or should have picked up on the stuff that bothered me. There were grammar problems, typos, and misspellings. This is not to mention that it kept switching from left-aligned to centered at random. I wanted to scream.

Books don't often bother me like this one did. Fallen Too Far has left a nasty taste in my mouth and I will not be continuing with this series. I'm trying to come up with something positive to add, but the only thing I can think of is that it's a quick read; you'll get through this--whether you like it or not--and won't have wasted too much time if you dislike it. If you like it, you'll be able to move on to the next fast! I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment