Monday, March 11, 2013

Might You Like What I Like? A Couple of Recommendations

Since I started back blogging last month, I've been spectacularly good (for me) at keeping up with my reviews. I have reviewed every single book I've read (except for two, both of which don't release for another month or two). This is an accomplishment for me, but it also means I have absolutely no backlog of reviews to write. So on days like today, when I just finished a book that I'm not reviewing till April and haven't read anything else for the last four or five days, I have nothing to post. I'm working on another "Let's Talk About..." post, but it's not taking shape the way I like, so it's not ready for viewing. Instead of forgoing posting, which I hate to do, I'm going to leave you all with a few recommendations. Pretty much, these are my favorite books of all time. I hope you enjoy!


Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
I find there are few books that have affected me the way this book did. I read it my junior year of high school after seeing the movie--which does the book almost no justice--and found myself questioning a lot of my priorities and decisions. It really brings to light the value of human relationship and the greatness of knowing oneself. I cannot recommend it enough.


Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
If you like dystopians, this is the ridiculously amazing adult novel for you. Clones are made of the poor and homeless, are raised and educated, and then used for organ harvesting for the rich. If you loved Unwind you'll definitely relate to the plight of Kathy and Tommy as they fight for love in a world where they were created to die.


Anything by Robin McKinley
I've talked about Robin McKinley almost ad nauseum at times, but I cannot talk about her enough! Her writing is beautiful and lyrical, her characters are realized and compelling, and her stories are fascinating and truthful. My favorites: The Hero and the Crown, Deerskin, Rose Daughter, and The Blue Sword.


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Everybody loves Jane Austen, and I do too, but there's just something that draws me to the Brontës more. Jane is an amazing character. She loves so deeply, despite all the times she's been hurt by those who should love her, and she forgives without even being asked to. She is so strong and so determined in what she believes. I deeply admire her; there are days where I have to ask myself, "What would Jane do?" to get through the day. (It works!)

Are any of these your personal favorites? If not, what are? I always love recommendations! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment