Monday, December 26, 2011

Top 10 of 2011: Top 10 Books I've Read


Welcome to my first post of "Top 10 of 2011", hosted by Rachel at FiktshunJessica from Confessions of a Bookaholic,  Lisa from A Life Bound By Books, and  Jaime & Patricia from Two Chicks on Books.. Every day this week various bloggers will be posting their top 10 lists. I think this is a great way to wrap up such a great year!


Today we're posting a (relatively) easy list: our top 10 books of the year. This is not necessarily books that came out this year, just ones that we read. I'm going to count down, and these are definitely in order. :) So without further ado...



10. The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa: This is really a mention for all of the Iron Fey novels. I read all four this year, but The Iron Knight was the best of them all. Julie Kagawa ended her series perfectly. There is no way I could imagine it any differently and would never want it to be different.
My review









9. Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson: Ultraviolet was so different from what I expected it to be that I didn't know what to think while reading. I figure some people will find and have found it hard to swallow, but the story is such a good one. The writing is spot on, but the story and emotions are also perfect.
My review









8. Bossypants by Tina Fey: I didn't give Tina Fey's book five stars when I read it earlier this year, and I probably still wouldn't, but it was definitely a highlight of my reading year. I've always loved Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live and 30 Rock, but reading her stories made me appreciate her wry humor even more. Rarely do I laugh out loud when reading, but Bossypants had me in stitches.







7. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro: I read this book in January, but it has stuck with me through the whole year. The ideas and warning expressed in Never Let Me Go are poignant and very true, but presented in a way and in a story that makes them easy to swallow and a great read. A very timely tale.









6. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake: I am a very hearty fan of happy things, things that don't make me fear the dark and empty places, but Anna Dressed in Blood was an exception to this rule. Anna is not a character one expects to love, but learning her story wins you over until you're as invested in the outcome as the characters.
My review








5. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi: There was a whole lost of buzz surrounding Shatter Me, and while I know others who didn't love it, I found Tahereh Mafi's distinctive style and idea to be perfect. I loved the almost stream of consciousness narration and thought the strikeouts were perfect to show Juliette's mindset.
My review





4. Delirium by Lauren Oliver: I've got a thing for dystopians. I love almost every one I read, but most of them don't capture my mind the way Delirium did. Between Oliver's fantastic writing and the well-developed world, I was hooked. The ending did me no favors in my haste for the second book, either.
My review




3. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta: I read several Melina Marchetta books this year, and loved them all, but Jellicoe Road was the best. Her characters are always among the most realistic that I've read, but the ones at Jellicoe Road were fully realized and lovable.
My review





2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: The Night Circus was easily the best experience I had reading a book all year. The world created is utterly engrossing. I had a hard time pulling my mind away from it and getting on with my daily life, and certainly didn't want to.
My review




1. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion: I seriously cannot recommend this book enough, if no one has noticed this year. I found Warm Bodies to be the most original and engaging book I read all year, with an unlikely hero that wins you over even though he's rotting. Isaac Marion has a very distinctive style that is at once beautiful and enigmatic.
My review



Well that's it!! I'll see you all tomorrow for another top 10 post! I'd love to hear in the comments what books you guys loved this year! Anything you think I should've mentioned?

No comments:

Post a Comment