Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

From Goodreads:

My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.
I find it suitable to say that in my eyes Ms. Julie Kagawa can do almost no wrong. I am saying this pre-Iron Knight, so we'll see, but reviews have been positive, so I have faith. :) I feel like these books just keep getting better and better, and the characters are just more and more loveable. I don't know how I'm going to ever part from these books, even though I've only been reading them for a couple of months (ACK!)

Like The Iron Daughter, The Iron Queen seemed to start into action and just keep on right till the end. I love that Meghan is finally getting to really fight and live up to the potential she's had all along. I keep mentioning it, but Meghan keeps growing! She's now a fully realized woman, making decisions not for herself or her happiness but for the happiness and welfare of others and of things bigger than herself. She has really become a character to admire, especially in her actions at the end of the book.

I don't think I've ever mentioned it, maybe because I didn't realize it, but I love Meghan, Puck, and Ash as a trio. They have such a good chemistry and repartee. Oh! And Grimalkin, though he likes to come in and out of the group, so I guess I don't really count him. Each one of the characters have become so detailed and engaging as the books go on, and I love them all more and more.

Now, I've always been on Team Ash, but The Iron Queen made me a little bit crazy. We really get to see a lot more of Ash's personality and he lets his guard down. It made me love him all the more, and really made me understand why I loved him. He and Puck have the best banter, making for some real laugh out loud moments.

What I especially enjoyed about The Iron Queen was our immersion into the Iron Court. In The Iron King, we see it as something completely foreign and needing eradication. Meghan and crew's experiences there in The Iron Queen change our opinion. It goes from something disgusting and unnatural to something needing protection and love. We realize it's as much part of the Nevernever as the Winter and Summer Courts and must be accepted and nurtured.

I will warn you that you probably will want some tissues for the last couple of chapters. I cried. Bad. If you are at all a cryer, you may need a whole box. I did, and got laughed at for it.

The Iron Queen is an exhilarating, lovely, and emotional read. Many times series get worse the longer they go on, but Julie Kagawa just keeps getting better. I absolutely cannot wait for The Iron Knight!

Risk a paper cut? You guys. Laughing hysterically out loud. WHOLE BOX OF TISSUES.

To buy: Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Great review!

    I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for a Liebster Blog Award! My post is at: http://rachelreader.blogspot.com/2011/08/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete